AGP Picks
View all

News on culture, society and lifestyle in the Middle East

Provided by AGP

Got News to Share?

Iran Taunts US Over Failure to Reopen Hormuz

(MENAFN) Iran declared Wednesday that Washington had been unable to force open the Strait of Hormuz in spite of what it dismissed as repeated "tricks," as a separate Iranian military source revealed that Tehran holds advanced weaponry that has yet to be deployed in combat.

The political deputy of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Navy, in remarks carried by an Iranian semi-official news agency, said the strategic waterway had been shut on direct orders from IRGC Navy Commander Alireza Tangsiri — and that all American efforts to reverse the closure had come to nothing.

"The Americans, despite a thousand tricks and acts of deception, could not reopen it," he said.

The official further warned that Iran's armed forces remained "with fingers on the trigger," poised to strike back against any future act of aggression.

In a separate statement to a Russian state news agency, an Iranian military source said the country faces no deficit in military or defensive capacity, cautioning that Tehran would hold nothing back in any future confrontation — and that weapons not yet seen on any battlefield remain in its arsenal.

Adding another layer of pressure, Iran's Persian Gulf Strait Authority announced Wednesday the establishment of a new oversight zone within the Strait of Hormuz, compelling vessels passing through designated corridors to coordinate directly with Iranian authorities. The measure applies to maritime lanes between Iran and the United Arab Emirates at both the eastern and western approaches to the critical chokepoint.

The moves come against a backdrop of sharply elevated regional tensions. US and Israeli strikes against Iran in February triggered retaliatory Iranian attacks on Israel, US Gulf allies, and the subsequent closure of the Strait of Hormuz. A ceasefire brokered by Pakistan took hold on April 8, though follow-on negotiations in Islamabad failed to yield a durable settlement. US President Donald Trump later extended the truce indefinitely, while sustaining a blockade on all vessels transiting to or from Iranian ports through the waterway.

MENAFN21052026000045017169ID1111147926


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.

Legal Disclaimer:

EIN Presswire provides this news content "as is" without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the author above.

Share us

on your social networks:

Sign up for:

Middle East Culture Guide

The daily local news briefing you can trust. Every day. Subscribe now.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms & Conditions.